Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Kiddos Update

Sydney recently had her 18 month well check. She weighed in at a whopping 20.3 lbs. finally breaking the 20 lb. barrier (it's a good thing she had her clothes, sandals and a wet diaper on!). This puts her just under the 5% for girls her age. However, she was 32" tall and that places her in the 75%. So she's still tall and skinny in case you can't tell by looking at pics! We think she's just right!
Sydney is also talking a lot more these days ... some things we can understand and other times she just talks jibberish. She is still our little daredevil ... she loves climbing up things like the swingset and then standing at the very edge leaning over while barely holding on .... or standing at the top of our basement steps leaning over looking like she's going to fall the entire way down. She likes to think that she's a big girl and can do everything her big brother and sister can ... and has lots of bumps and bruises to prove it! Our kiddos don't have the prettiest looking legs these days!

Justin still loves to show everyone his big boy underwear ... although we have been trying to teach him not to come out naked holding his underwear and shorts after he's done going potty when we have people over! He's still learning how to get his own underwear and shorts back on after going potty ... he often just wants help since it's easier and quicker! When we were explaining that he needs to stay in the bathroom and call for us he said "why not I come out naked?" Brian told him that not everyone wants to see him naked!
He is still the most mischievous, accident prone and full of energy kiddo we have! I'm thankful for our backyard and the basement ... the two primary places that he releases his energy! He loves going to the park to ride his bike on the bike trail ... Hailey and Justin often ride bikes in the basement together since we don't have a sidewalk at our house (they sometimes ride on the driveway when I'm out with them). Justin loves riding Hailey's bike instead of his now .... he says that his doesn't go fast enough! It's impressive how well he rides Hailey's ... for the past few months he's been riding it, and now he flies around the corners downstairs and knows how to use the breaks (it took Hailey awhile to figure that one out!). He can't keep up with Hailey at the park when he rides his which frustrates him. Hailey is beginning to outgrow her bike, so we hope to get her a bigger one eventually and then let Justin ride Hailey's (he loves the color purple!).
Just last night, about 5 minutes before our caregroup meeting was beginning Justin stepped on a staple and got it stuck in his foot. The young girl from church who watching the kiddos during our meeting brought him up screaming and said that there is a staple in his foot. He was screaming "I don't like it, get it out!" So while I held him, Brian pulled it out. Then we took care of the wounds and cleaned them out. He wanted to sit with us adults upstairs for awhile, but eventually he ventured back downstairs for the rest of the night!
And as you will see in one of the pics below, he recently discovered some of Hailey's lip gloss and went to town using it (everywhere but his lips!). He continually keeps life exciting and I'm so thankful that God has given us our little buddy boy.
I was just reflecting on God's goodness in his life over the past 3+ years last night as we were reflecting on ways that God has answered prayers and revealed Himself to us in the past ... during those early days at CHOP after he was born premature, working through his anger, his lack of speech until he was two, the many injuries ... we have continually been blessed to see God work in his life and protect him. How thankful I am that God has his days numbered, and has the perfect plan for Justin's life (all my kiddos, for that matter!) ... I take comfort knowing these truths as I seek to live in faith; not fear and anxiety. I'm thankful that God daily brings opportunities into my life for my faith to be strengthened!

And my Hailey girl ... what a big helper she is! I love her enthusiasm with helping me in the kitchen, doing little chores around the house, watching her siblings while playing outside, laying down her desires to serve her younger siblings, reaching out to other girls in her sunday school class, her desire to learn .... there are so many evidences of grace that we have seen recently in Hailey's life and we are excited about the work that God is doing in her life. She is sensitive to the needs of others, and is full of compassion. As I think about having more kiddos in the future, Lord willing (and NO, I'm not pregnant!) ... I know that she will be a tremendous help to me as she has a wonderful servant's heart and desires to help her Mommy in so many ways. She tells me all the time that she wants another brother (so that there are 3 girls and 3 boys in the family and so that Justin can have a boy to play with!) ... maybe someday! God has given me faith for another boy, even if he's just like Justin!
Some of Hailey's favorite things to do are play outside, do crafts, be read to (she's just beginning learning to read!), write, draw, play dress up, dance and of course help me with whatever I am doing! She absolutely loves Sundays and will tell me how many days until Sunday at any given time during the week. She loves the corporate times of worship, and it has been so sweet to see her engage in worship and participate. She also loves to dance and worship at home when we play worship music ... it's neat to see how Justin and Sydney participate as well as they watch their big sister!

So there you have it ... a little peek into the lives of Sydney, Justin and Hailey. And now, some pics ...












1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bummer ... I thought you might be pregnant! Tell Brian to keep trying. Thanks for the pictures.