My hubby is a genius.Earlier this week we were talking about our next approach to encourage Sydney in her potty training (or lack there of!). He suggested not buying any more diapers since we were running low. He figured maybe if she knew that diapers weren't an option she would eventually decide that walking around with wet underwear wasn't so fun and decide to go on the potty.
I'll admit that I was a little skeptical about this new plan, but agreed to give it a shot.
Wednesday night we told her that it was the last diaper we had and that beginning in the morning (Thursday) she would have to wear underwear like a big girl. She told us that she could wear Callie's diapers, and we convinced her that they would be too small for her (when in reality she probably could fit into them!). Then she suggested that we could just go and buy more, but we said that wasn't an option either since diapers are expensive and we already have one baby in diapers.
I went to bed Wednesday thinking about how much fun I was going to have the next day ... cleaning up her messes, calming her meltdowns and doing extra laundry.
Thursday morning arrived and I reminded Sydney that we were out of diapers so she had to wear underwear ... and much to my surprise and delight, she said "ok" and got herself dressed with underwear (the few other times we've tried underwear she wasn't so cooperative).
I decided not to force her to sit on the potty (since we all know how that has gone in the past!), but instead just told her that whenever she needs to go she can go all by herself. You can only imagine my shock and amazement when she confidently told me she needed to go tinkles and actually went! I thought maybe it was a fluke, and was still expecting an accident shortly after, since in the past she wouldn't let it all out. 15 minutes later she told me she had to go again ... and this time she really went for the first time ever. Hailey and Justin were funny ... they kept saying over and over, "O my goodness Mommy, she went soooo much, not just a little, but soooo much!"
After this I just laughed ... only Sydney would all of a sudden decide that she is going potty one day after 6 months of refusing to even make an attempt! To make this potty training (if you can call it that!) story even better ... later in the day she even pooped on the potty ... she gave all of us a good shock with that one! She was so excited to call Daddy and tell him that she went potty all day without any accidents. And Daddy was thrilled to take her to Wawa for a special treat!
Since yesterday morning she has been wearing underwear without any accidents! I'm sure we'll have some accidents eventually, but so far she's acting like a pro and I rarely even remind her to go!
I can't promise that this method of potty training will work for you, but we're excited that it seems to have worked for Sydney ... O happy day!






4 comments:
I'm so proud of you Sydney! =) =) =)
Love,
Aunt Krista
Yay! Glad to hear it worked, that's exciting!
She did it! How exciting! Glad to hear that it went so smoothly for you! Hope that all is still going well.
What a funny story. Well done Sarah and Brian! My roommate yesterday was telling me how her mom coerced her to stop using her pacifier. Her Mom informed her that Santa's reindeers needed them and it worked!
Post a Comment