Saturday, April 09, 2011

snackin'

Having lots of kiddos means lots of hungry mouths. I am always trying to provide healthy snacks that will actually fill them up until the next meal to prevent constantly hearing "Mommy, I'm hungry" all day long. The latest and greatest snack has been my homemade "Larabars." And I'll admit, they make a pretty good snack for Mommy too! The recipe possibilities are pretty endless depending on what you like, but below are some of our favorites!

For all of these recipes I used medjool dates. The instructions are the same for each recipe; put nuts in food processor and process until finely chopped. Add chopped dates (pits removed) and all other ingredients then process until a paste forms and all ingredients are combined. Remove and shape into bars on plastic wrap. I label a ziplock baggie for each kind and store them in the refrigerator. I make multiple different kinds back to back and don't wash my food processor until I'm completely done to save time.

Chocolate Chip Coconut Cookie Bars (makes 4)
1/2 c. dates
1/3 c. almonds
1/3 c. cashews
1/2 c. coconut, shredded and unsweetened
2 T. chocolate chips
1 tsp. coconut oil


Coconut Cream Bars (makes 4)
1/2 c. dates
1/3 c. almonds
1/3 c. cashews
1/2 c. coconut, shredded and unsweetened
3 tsp. coconut oil


Chocolate Coconut Chew Bars (makes 4)
1/2 c. dates
1/3 c. almonds
1/3 c. walnuts
1/4 c. coconut, shredded and unsweetened
2 T. cacao powder


Cashew Cookie Bars (makes 3)
2/3 c. cashews
1/2 c. dates


Double Chocolate Brownie Bar (makes 4)
1/2 c. dates
1/3 c. almonds
1/3 c. walnuts
1/4 c. chocolate chips
2 T. cacao powder


Cherry Pie Bar (makes 5)
1 c. almonds
1/2 c. dates
1/2 c. dried cherries


These make for a great high protein snack that will fill up little and big bellies!

3 comments:

Christy said...

I used to make these and everyone loved them. Asher has this really bad cashew allergy though and I haven't tried making them without yet, although I would think they would still work. Do you get your dates at Cost-Co?

sarah said...

Christy,
You can sub. any nuts in all of these recipes ... I tend to use almonds the most, but use cashews and walnuts when I have them to mix it up. Pecans and Peanuts (or other nuts) can also be used, I just don't have them regularly. And yup, I get my dates at Costco ... about 24 bars use half of the carton. Pretty cost effective!

Jill said...

Sarah, I just made some as I was inspired by your blog. Hopefully my family will like them! Thanks for posting.