Thursday, August 28, 2008

Muffins

I've been baking some more this week ... this time in the form of yummy blueberry and banana muffins! The kiddos love all things baked, and so I've been trying to find some good recipes that are at least a little more on the healthy side to give them as a snack. So in addition to the applesauce bread that they love (which I plan to make a couple loaves of as well!), this recipe has been a great addition! I made a double batch of both the blueberry and banana so that we have a bunch to take along on vacation. They freeze wonderfully (I just wrap them individually in plastic wrap, then store them in an airtight container in the freezer ... freezer bags would work too). They are very quick and easy to whip together which is always nice too!

Blueberry Muffins (see note to make banana version)
~1 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
~1 tsp. baking soda
~1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
~1/2 tsp. salt
~1 c. blueberries (I used frozen)
~1/2 c. applesauce
~2/3 c. rapadura (or other sweetener)
~1 egg, beaten
~1/3 c. coconut oil, melted (or butter)
~cinnamon/rapadura to sprinkle on top

*Preheat oven to 375*
*Grease 12 muffin cups
*In large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
*In another bowl, combine blueberries, applesauce, sugar, egg and melted oil/butter.
*Stir wet ingredients into dry mixture and stir until just combined.
*Spoon into muffin cups, filling about 3/4 full.
*Sprinkle with cinnamon and rapadura/sugar if desired.
*Bake for 17-20 min. until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

*Note: To make Banana muffins, substitute 3 mashed bananas (I used over ripe bananas out of my freezer) for the blueberries/applesauce.

Maybe sometime soon I'll have something to post about that doesn't involve food!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My dear daughter - i am soo proud of you! You have become such an excellent homemaker...pregnant with #4 and baking up a storm in the midst of homeschooling, and doing it all with joy :) I'll tell you one thing...I sure am glad I am going on vacation with YOU - I can't wait to taste all these goodies you are taking along!

You're great - thanks for bringing much joy to your Mother :)

I love you , Mom