Today we're sharing all about reading time with our kiddos. Since I recently posted about the kiddos favorite books, I thought I would share a little about how we include book time during our days.In the morning, I spend time doing some reading with the kids all together, usually at breakfast or shortly after. We typically read a Psalm or Proverb from the Bible, and as well a chapter from the Hymns For a Kids Heart series. We have used different things for my times with the kiddos in the morning, but that is currently what we're going through and it's fun getting a little history lesson about all different hymns and then taking time to listen to and learn hymns as well.
As soon as our kiddos outgrow taking an afternoon nap, we switch over to book time. So for about an hour every afternoon during the week Hailey and Justin have book time. Since Hailey can read now, she will sometimes read to Justin, but other times they have book time seperately.
Most afternoons I also spend a good amount of time reading aloud to them as well, so sometimes they don't have as much alone book time when we are reading together for an extended period of time. Some of their current favorite read alouds include The Little House on the Prairie series, Charlotte's Web, Stuart Little, and when it's just me and Hailey the American Girls series.
Another time during the day when the kiddos will often read (or look at) books is while I am preparing dinner. Since I find this can be a rather hectic time of the day, I will often ask them to sit at the counter or table with a book while I prepare dinner. Of course Callie usually just hangs out in the bouncey seat!
And last, but not least ... we typically read to the kiddos before they go to bed. Daddy often gets time with the kiddos at this time of the day, and has been going through some Character Building books with them, in addition to reading from one of our Children's Bibles. And of course, some nights we read some of their other favorites too!
So that's what book time looks like in our home!
Head over to Lisa's blog to check out other ideas for this Fresh Idea Friday!






2 comments:
I LOVE your new header--it's beautiful. I want to learn how you did that!
Thanks for giving us a glimps into your reading routines. I love the idea of book time when they grow out of naps. Thankfully I haven't had to do that yet, but will plan on doing that when they stop taking naps. I also like the idea of having a quiet reading time during the time I'm preparing dinner--I think the boys would do well at that. Great idea!
Thanks again for sharing.
Thanks for posting over on my blog too Sarah! I completely understand the feeling of "reading to yourself" and do agree that they pick up so much more than I realize...but just helpful to hear what others have to say! Thanks for the encouragement! Let me know what you're thinking about the activity bags too! And I copied your granola bar recipe bc the picture looks so good but haven't gotten to them yet...but I was just now reminded to do it!
Post a Comment